Western Power update - new requirements for solar installation from 14 February 2022
Western Power update
New requirements for solar installation start on 14 February 2022
The energy sector is changing, and we’re committed to supporting the community and industry through this period of transition.
We’d like to remind you of the following changes that came into effect on Monday 14 February:
- Emergency Solar Management (ESM) requirements: all new and upgraded inverters installed with a capacity of 5kVA or less will need to be capable of being remotely switched off (and back on), via API cloud or AMI meter control, during an extreme minimum demand event. Find out more here.
- New connection technical requirements: Solar providers and installers must ensure new and upgraded inverters meet Western Power’s Basic Embedded Generator Connection Technical Requirements.
- Embedded Generation Connection Process Changes: the application process will include additional steps to support ESM requirements. See below for more information.
Western Power’s Embedded Generation Connection Process Changes
The Embedded Generation Application form will be offline between 14 – 15 February for maintenance, and will back online on 16 February with the following changes:
- Your Retailer Reference Number (RRN) will now display the nominated control method either as: ‘Cloud’ (Offtake + API), ‘Meter’ (Offtake & Meter Control) or ‘NONE’ (No Offtake)
Embedded Generation Registration
Following Western Power connection approval and after the inverter system has been installed, tested and a Notice of Completion has been submitted, you’ll be required to register the system with Western Power by submitting a new form - Embedded Generation Application Registration – detailing:
- Western Power Embedded Generation Application approval reference number
- Inverter serial number of the new inverters
- Notice of Completion number
- Circuit breaker rating
Important links for more information
Visit Western Power – ESM for the latest information and subscribe for updates and news here.