Updated cabling standards on TKB
NECA Technical would like to advise members that the following customer cabling standards have just been updated from the 2013 versions.
AS/CA S008:2020 Requirements for customer cabling products
AS/CA S009:2020 Installation requirements for customer cabling (Wiring Rules)
Members can access both updated standards in TKB.
The updated Standards include new and revised requirements in a number of key areas, including:
- a new three-stage classification system or ‘hazards-based standard engineering’ approach against potentially increasing risks from rising energy levels in cables, and safeguards between hazardous energy sources and body parts;
- new voltage and amperage limits on electrical circuits that can be carried over generic customer cabling;
- new requirements for communications cables that are also intended to be used to carry electrical power – for example to remotely powered devices such as wireless access points, surveillance cameras, smart lighting, digital signage, building management controllers and sensors;
- new requirements to assist cablers to select cabling products that are fit for purpose for a particular installation;
- additional rules for optical fibre systems to guard against laser hazards that can be associated with optical fibre systems;
- incorporation of elements of the National Construction Code relating to cable flammability and ‘fire-stopping’ to help inhibit the propagation of fire; and
- new rules for pit and access hole products, with the aim of improving public safety through a reduction in the number of trip hazards