Smoke Alarm Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What is the minimum number of smoke alarms required?
- A smoke alarm is required between living areas and all bedrooms. If this can be achieved with one alarm, then only that one is required.
Q: Can I use a 10 year lithium battery powered smoke alarm?
- Yes but only where the wiring cannot be concealed or there is no mains power to the dwelling. In other cases local government approval must be sort.
Q: Do all smoke alarms need to be interconnected?
- They have to be interconnected in dwellings or extensions to dwellings, built after 30 April 2015.
Q: Do smoke alarms connected via a home security system comply?
- In most cases no. The smoke alarm must be directly connected to consumer mains power.
Q: What type of smoke alarm is acceptable?
- Both ionisation and photoelectric types are acceptable, providing they comply with relevant edition of AS 3786 which is currently AS 3786.2014.
CLICK HERE for further information.