ECA Legal WA - Did you know?

As of 1 October 2018, under the Clerks - Private Sector Award 2010 (Award), a regular casual employee (a casual employee who in the preceding 12 months worked a pattern of hours on an ongoing basis which, without significant adjustment, the employee could continue to perform as a full-time or part-time employee) may request that their employment is converted to full-time or part-time.  The request must be in writing and the employer may agree to or refuse the request, but the request may only be refused on reasonable grounds and after there has been consultation with the employee.  

Further an employer must provide a casual employee, whether a regular casual employee or not, with a copy of the provisions of clause 12.5 of the Award (summarised above) within the first 12 months of the employee’s first engagement to perform work. In respect of casual employees already employed as at 1 October 2018, an employer must provide such employees with a copy of the provisions of clause 12.5 of the Award by 1 January 2019.

If you have any further queries regarding pay rates and regulations for casual employees, please contact ECA Legal WA on (08) 6241 6129 or email