Electrical Contracting Award temporary variation discussions
The National Electrical and Communications Association (NECA) is no longer proceeding with a proposal to temporarily vary the Electrical Contracting Award, to support employers and employees through the COVID-19 pandemic.
NECA would like to confirm that:
- NECA has been in discussions with the ETU since April 2020 and the proposed temporary variation NECA was seeking is set to expire on 30 June 2020.
- The measures proposed by NECA were solely to preserve employee safety and employment, and to provide greater flexibility to meet Government social distancing requirements.
- Unfortunately, protracted discussions with the ETU have meant that any variation to the Award made now would be of marginal benefit to employers or employees.
- NECA has sought to co-operate with the ETU to find common ground to assist employers and their employees move forward through this difficult period.
- NECA is disappointed that a consent position with the ETU was not achievable.
- It should be noted that other Awards in Australia have now been varied through co-operation between the Employer and Unions parties.
- NECA will continue to engage with the Government and unions as part of the government’s wages Accord 2.0 initiative.