EGT Safety Alert 71: Heat is a Hazard
16 January 2018
Working in heat can be hazardous and can cause harm to workers. Heat is a hazard and should be risk assessed like any other workplace hazard. Heat stress occurs when the body cannot cool itself enough to maintain a healthy temperature.
How to avoid heat illness:
- Be aware of the symptoms of heat illness (see image below)
- Use barriers or reflective screens alongside heat sources
- Take breaks in shaded/cool places
- Acclimatise to hot conditions
- Share the workload
- Drink water regularly
- Use shade protection, a hat and sunscreen
- Wear light clothing
- Use natural ventilation, fans, blowers or chillers
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle
- Keep an eye on your workmates
For further information regarding this Safety Alert, please contact EGT on (08) 6241 6100 or contact your Field Officer.