Changes to the WAER from 1 July 2021
Building and Energy have undertaken a review of the WA Electrical Requirements (WAER) and have released a draft of the updated version, which is scheduled for implementation on 1 July 2021.
Below is a summary of the changes:
- Throughout Section 3, changes have been made to reflect the use of energy generation and storage systems.
- Clause 3.1 Table has been added to identify responsibility for service apparatus.
- The existing Clause 3.2 Earthing Systems has been removed and subsequent clauses have been re-numbered.
- Clause 3.2 On Site Generation (previously clause 3.3) reference to AS/NZS 5139 and AS/NZS 3000 has been added, along with notification requirements.
- Clause 3.3.2 is a new clause relating to Strata connections.
- Clause 3.3.3 is a new clause referring to Redundant connections.
- Clause 3.6 Privately owned low voltage power lines (previously clause 3.7) has be re-worded.
- Clause 5.3 Service connection equipment has been amended to reflect current Network Operator terminology.
- Section 6 Metering and service equipment Clause 6.1 has been re-worded.
- A reference to Regulation 55 in the Electricity (Licensing) Regulations 1991 has been added to Clause 6.2.1.
- Clause 6.2.2 General requirements has been amended in relation to Service Protection Devices (SPDs).
- A new clause has been added - Clause 6.4 Test reports and Measurement Accuracy of LV CTs.
- Section 7 has been renamed as Large scale installations. This section has also been reworded and includes additional clauses.
- Clause 8.1 Emergency disconnection includes removal and operation of SPDs.
- In Clause 9.2.1, the minimum cable size for consumer mains has increased to 16 square millimetres for single phase and 10 square millimetres for three phase.
- Clause 9.5 now includes mechanical protection for DC cables within brick veneer.
- Existing Clauses 9.9 Minimum Cross-sectional Area of Conductors and 9.10 Jointing Consumer Mains have been removed.
- Clause 9.10 (previously Clause 9.12) includes additional requirements for PV, inverter and battery installations.
- Section 10.5 BHP Billiton Limited Nickel West Leinster has been removed.
Click on the image below to view a copy of the draft WAER: